January 20, 2013

Chik-fil-A it ain't


Sometimes, we just get a hankering for Chik-fil-A.  There is a local restaurant in Sentani that does a pretty good chicken sandwich, but it's just not the same as a Chik-fil-A-pickle-juice-soaked-into-the-bun-chicken sandwich.  I recently came across this recipe which promised a chicken sandwich that tasted just like it. The skeptic in me said "no way" but I decided to give it a whirl.

 This recipe would of course be much easier in the U.S., where I could just go out and buy beautiful pieces of chicken, pickles, and buns, although if I were in the U.S. I'd probably just go to the nearest Chik-fil-A.  Anyway, here's how it went...

Step One - Make the pickles.
Step Two - Go to the pasar, get the chicken
Step Three - At home, make the chicken look purty, then marinate in pickle juice per Food Babe's recipe
Step Four - Make the buns
Step Five - Bread the chicken (pictured below.  Me, still sporting my pool wear.) 



Step Six - Fight the urge to smack a certain teenager of mine who takes one look and declares "that looks nothing like a Chik-fil-A."

Step Seven - The final product.

Yep, no waffle fries, no lemonade, and very questionable pickles.  It definitely was not a Chik-fil-A sandwich.  But, it tasted just fine, and it will make the next Chik-fil-A sandwich we eat, whenever and wherever that may be, taste all the better.

No comments: